Today, many business, government, public service, and technical environments require knowledge of management principles from multiple disciplines. University of Maryland Global Campus's Bachelor of Science in management studies can help you gain that expertise through a course of study focused on decision making, problem solving, and leadership.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2020–2021 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
About the Management Studies Bachelor's Degree
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Apply leadership skills to promote communication, ethical behavior, and quality performance
- Implement employment practices, encourage team building, and mentor junior staff members
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse audiences using a variety of formats and technologies
- Assess and develop performance measures, feedback, and coaching that facilitate employee development
- Employ self-reflection and mindfulness of individual and cultural differences when interacting with others
- Research, plan, and develop processes and procedures that ensure organizational performance
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Create a management or a leadership plan
- Create decision matrices, balanced scorecards, and appraisal performance reviews for an organization
- Conduct a fishbone analysis and an internal and external environmental scan
Management Studies Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Courses in the Major
Total Credits Required: 120
- Required Major Courses: 33
- Minor and Elective Courses: 46
- General Education Courses: 41
Required Major Courses
- BMGT 110
- ACCT 301 or ACCT 220
- BMGT 364
- BMGT 365
- BMGT 464 or BMGT 465
- BMGT 317
- BMGT 305 or any upper-level ACCT, BMGT, FINC, HRMN, or MRKT course
- BMGT 304 or any upper-level ACCT, BMGT, FINC, HRMN, or MRKT course
- BMGT 484 or any upper-level ACCT, BMGT, FINC, HRMN, or MRKT course
- BMGT 496
- BMGT 485
Related Required Courses
The following may be applied to general education or elective requirements:
- ECON 201 or ECON 203
- IFSM 300
- STAT 200
General Education Requirements
UMGC outlines the options available to fulfill the 41 credits of general education coursework for bachelor's degrees on the General Education Requirements webpage.
In addition to the major, elective, and general education courses and requirements outlined on this page, please review the overall bachelor's degree requirements.
This program is designed to help prepare you for an entry-level management position in business, government, public service, and technical environments. It will also help prepare experienced managers or midcareer professionals who are looking to advance their career.
Bianca Bostic wanted more than just a job. She wanted a career. UMGC made it possible for Bianca to return to school while being a single mother. After graduating with her BS in Management Studies, Bianca landed an exciting position where she could directly apply her new knowledge. UMGC helped Bianca stand out from the competition.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Chief executive officer
- Program manager
- Vice president
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Cartier International
- Discovery Channel
- Hilton Worldwide
- University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health