In the learning design and technology graduate certificate program at University of Maryland Global Campus, you will apply learning theory, emerging technologies, and contemporary design models to design, create, and publish effective online courses. Additionally, the program explores project management for designers, legal issues, and the learning design thinking approach to manage the design cycle.
This program will provide you with a broad instructional design framework and technical skills to create engaging online learning experiences for education and business. The curriculum features emerging topics in the field and real-world projects to provide you with up-to-date, career-focused experience, so what you're learning is on the cutting edge of instructional design.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2021–2022 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
About the Learning Design and Technology Graduate Certificate
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Apply current research of learning theory and instructional design to design and implement optimized online learning experiences
- Create authentic performance-based assessments
- Select and design digital media and infuse interactive technologies to support learner engagement
- Apply project management techniques and learning design to lead the instructional design process
- Utilize your personal learning network to continue learning and developing as a learning designer
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Synthesize learning theories to develop a philosophy of learning design
- Write a whitepaper on 21st century learning
- Apply learning design models to create a course design document
- Develop and publish engaging multimedia resources
- Create infographics
- Develop and publish an online course
- Develop a professional learning network to continue professional growth after the completion of this program
- Publish a professional portfolio
Learning Design and Technology Graduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Total Credits Required: 18
- DCL 600M
- LDT 610
- LDT 620
Course Rules and Program Progression
- You must complete each course with a grade of B or better to advance to the next course. The grade of C is not available for these courses.
Overall Certificate Requirements
Review the overall graduate certificate requirements on the certificates overview webpage.
The graduate certificate in learning design and technology will provide you with a broad instructional design framework and technical skills to create engaging online learning experiences for education and business.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Director of instructional design
- Instructional design consultant
- Learning design manager
- Learning technologist
- Professor of learning design
- Senior instructional designer
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- University of North Dakota
- K12 Inc.
- Georgia State University
- Western Michigan University