The Master of Science in management specialization in marketing can help you move toward a senior position with leadership skills essential to the core function of every organization, public or private. Whether you're new to marketing, looking to move up, or changing careers, you’ll learn the latest marketing strategies, as well as the foundations of solid management practice, to gain an edge in the job market.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2021–2022 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
About the Management Master's Degree with Marketing Specialization
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Develop strategies to successfully market products or services to individual or organizational customers
- Create an optimal marketing communications strategy to maximize engagement with a product or brand
- Use metrics to measure the effectiveness of a marketing program and make recommendations for improvement
- Develop digital strategies combined with direct marketing methods to promote customer relationships
- Apply relevant legal and ethical principles to prevent and resolve dilemmas in marketing situations
- Devise appropriate marketing strategies in the context of competitive global environments and the cultural differences of global customers
- Analyze the role of brand equity to achieve sustainable competitive advantage
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Prepare a marketing plan for a real-world product or solution
- Complete a consumer experience project focused on ethical marketing tactics
- Develop an effective consumer intervention strategy based on insights obtained from consumer research
- Understand the major digital marketing channels and learn how to measure digital marketing efforts and calculate ROI
Management Master's Degree with Marketing Specialization Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Master's - specialization Courses
- UCSP 615
(to be taken within the first 6 credits of study)
- MGMT 630
- MGMT 640
- MGMT 650
- MRKT 620
- MRKT 602
- MRKT 603
- MRKT 604
- MRKT 605
- MRKT 606
- MGMT 670
Course Rules and Program Progression
- MRKT 600 and MRKT 601 may be taken instead of MRKT 620.
- MGMT 650 must be completed before MRKT 604 and MRKT 606.
- MGMT 640 should not be attempted simultaneously with MGMT 650.
- You must complete 24 credits of program coursework, including all core courses, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- You must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at all times.
- All degree requirements must be fulfilled within five consecutive years.
- Any transfer credits must have been earned within the five-year time frame to be applied toward a graduate degree.
Please review our overview of overall master's degree requirements for additional considerations.
Recommended Course Sequence
This is our recommended course sequence to progress through this program. This sequence incorporates course prerequisites and program requirements but does not list course alternatives that may be available. We recommend you take a maximum of 6 credits per term. You cannot take a prerequisite with its subsequent course during the same session. Your plan will be unique and dependent on multiple factors, including the number of credits you transfer to this program.
Contact an advisor if you any questions about this plan, course alternatives, or your course load limit.
This program is designed to help prepare you for a senior-level marketing position in the private or public sectors, leading consumer-focused and business-to-business organizations.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
If you lack a recent background in finance or accounting, you should take UCSP 620 before MGMT 640.
If you lack a recent background in statistics, you should take UCSP 630 before MGMT 650. Taking UCSP 605 is recommended to help improve writing skills.
I really looked at UMGC as a chance to redeem myself and really elevate myself professionally. I have done so well. It's been everything I hoped for and more. I had great professors, great classmates, and a great program.
Matthew Sciannella, MS
Marketing Manager, ABICOR BINZEL
Management Master's Degree with Marketing Specialization
We did a lot of marketing research and studied all the major companies. In one class, we even learned how the Grateful Dead and the NBA were marketed. This gave me a broad understanding of how business can become successful.
Master of Business Administration
Student Clubs and Organizations
Type: Student organization
Available To: Undergraduate and Graduate
This club provides opportunities for students to learn more about the field of marketing, discuss their shared interests, and network with classmates and faculty members.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Director of merchandising
- Director of strategic marketing
- Executive director
- Media supervisor
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- General Motors Credit Card
- Gallup & Robinson
- Shenandoah Valley Small Business Development Center