Today's employers are looking to hire professionals who possess data analytics skills and can inform and enhance decision-making within corporations, non-profits, government agencies, or the military. The online undergraduate certificate in business analytics at University of Maryland Global Campus is a valuable credential for career changers who are looking to enter the field of data science. This certificate pairs well with majors such as cybersecurity, finance, accounting, marketing, healthcare, biotechnology, and environmental management.
This certificate provides a foundation in the principles, concepts, and applications underlying business analytics, data transformation, data insight extraction, data visualization, and clear communication of data analytics process and results.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2021–2022 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
About the Business Analytics Undergraduate Certificate
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Evaluate a business problem and determine if data science can provide a viable solution to meet organizational, strategic, and operational needs
- Implement all stages of data science methodology, including data extraction, data cleaning, data load, and transformation
- Execute best practices using diverse technologies in data science, business intelligence, machine learning, and artificial intelligence
- Incorporate data security, data privacy, and risk management best practices in the planning, development, and implementation of data science solutions
- Analyze social, global, and ethical issues and their implications as they relate to the use of existing and emerging data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence technologies
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Design and execute advanced data management and querying techniques in support of business intelligence efforts
- Apply fundamental analytics techniques to build models for predicting sports outcomes, housing prices, or other datasets
- Create geospatial visualizations using the World Bank Indicators dataset, comparing countries, regions and subregions on economic development, technology, health, population, and transportation to identify unanticipated trends and anomalies
Business Analytics Undergraduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Total Credits Required: 15
- STAT 200
- Choose one of the following courses:
- CMIS 102
- IFSM 201
- DATA 200
- DATA 220
- IFSM 330
- DATA 335
Overall Certificate Requirements
Review the overall undergraduate certificate requirements on the certificates overview webpage.
This program is designed to help you enhance your data-specific career skill set.
About the Faculty
This certificate program comprises the first five courses in the Bachelor of Science in data science, giving you the ability to continue into that program once you complete the certificate. Or, you can choose a different major suited to your career objectives. Either way, the undergraduate certificate will attest to your preparation in the fundamentals of data analytics.