Originator: Provost and Chief Academic Officer
Subject: Class Visitation
Visits to UMGC online and face-to-face classes are important for supporting and working with faculty to ensure the best possible learning environment for UMGC students. Visitors will conduct themselves in a collegial manner.
Deans, associate deans, assistant deans, chairs, academic directors, librarians, faculty developers, graduate distance education (DE) coordinators and other academic administrators in comparable positions are Authorized Visitors who may visit classes. In addition, the Vice President, UMGC-Asia; the Vice President, UMGC-Europe; the Vice President and General Counsel; and area directors are Authorized Visitors. The Provost may designate additional Authorized Visitors.
Regular Visits to classes are to support and develop faculty, to assess class readiness, and/or to evaluate faculty performance.
- Reasons for Visiting Classes
- Mentor and evaluate faculty who are teaching their first UMGC course.
- Assist and evaluate experienced UMGC faculty.
- Evaluate faculty who have requested review for promotion.
- Review syllabi.
- Review class setup to ensure all components are available and all links are working.
- Review classes to ensure UMGC's standards for faculty and student participation are being met.
- Assess faculty training or mentoring.
- Update materials to support online classes.
- Conduct institutional research projects related to pedagogy, best practices, and student learning.
- Investigate student complaints.
- Address emergency situations not covered under items A through J above.
- When appropriate, Authorized Visitors to classes will attempt to inform faculty that they are visiting.
- Every attempt will be made to notify faculty of the schedule for Regular Visits to classes. When all classes are to be visited, a general schedule will be provided along with the position titles of the Authorized Visitors making the visit.
- The reasons for Regular Visits will be shared with faculty members.
- When the purpose of the Regular Visit is assessment of class readiness and/or faculty performance, the criteria and observations will be made available to faculty members in a timely manner.
- DE coordinators will share their observations with appropriate academic administrators. Summary reports of the results of Regular Visits will be provided to appropriate academic administrators in a timely manner.
- Supervisors will discuss with each visited faculty member observations made during Regular Visits to classes and provide a report to each visited faculty member.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|