University of Maryland Global Campus administers more than 100 foundational scholarships to help students like you achieve your education goals. If you meet the requirements for one or more of these scholarships, the Office of Financial Aid may invite you to apply for a chance to be awarded up to $2,000 per academic year.
About UMGC Foundational Scholarships
UMGC offers a pool of more than 100 foundational scholarships to current UMGC students. Each one of these scholarships—administered by the UMGC Office of Financial Aid—has its own set of unique eligibility criteria, which could take into account GPA, financial need, credits earned, and a host of other categories. If you're eligible for one or more of the foundational scholarships, the Office of Financial Aid will prompt you to apply. Award amounts for the individual scholarships in this pool may vary, but the maximum total amount you can receive from foundational scholarships is $2,000 per academic year.
Please note: These scholarships differ from other specially designated scholarships at UMGC such as the Maryland Completion Scholarship or the Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program, which have special eligibility criteria and/or a different application process.
Kicking Off the UMGC Foundational Scholarship Process
To begin the process to seek foundational scholarships for the following academic year, you must first do the following:
- Be admitted to UMGC
- Have earned 15 undergraduate credits or 9 graduate credits at UMGC
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA
It's important to submit your FAFSA early each year. Many of the scholarships available through this process can be renewed annually if you continue to maintain your eligibility requirements. Plus, you could be considered for other foundational scholarships in future years.
How the Award Process Works
If you meet the criteria above, the Office of Financial Aid will help you through the rest of the steps in this process.
- Wait for an invitation in early spring: The Office of Financial Aid will send you an e-mail and a notification in the To Do List in the MyUMGC student portal, inviting you to fill out a scholarship application.
- Submit the application as soon as possible: Scholarship awards for the upcoming academic year are based on funding availability, so complete the application as soon as you can. You must submit the application prior to July 15.
- Wait for an award notification in midsummer: The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your scholarship award status via e-mail and through a notification in the MyUMGC To Do List. You will receive a notification whether you are matched to one or more scholarships or do not receive a scholarship.
Awarding of 2018–2019 scholarships will begin as early as July 15. You must meet the eligibility requirements and take the outlined steps above each year to renew your existing scholarships (if funding is available) and be considered for other foundational scholarships.