How can I request a Letter of Completion before my degree is conferred? +

A Letter of Completion can serve as proof that you have satisfied your academic program before degrees are officially conferred at the end of each term. To request a Letter of Completion, please send an email to Be sure to include your name, student/EMPL ID, mailing address, and how you would like to receive your LOC (e-mail, mail, or fax). If your letter needs to be sent to a third party, please include that information in your e-mail.

How do I graduate with honors from UMGC? +

Graduation honors are conferred on bachelor's degree recipients only. If you are a bachelor's degree candidate, you must have at least a 3.80 grade-point average and have completed at least 30 credits of graded coursework at UMGC to be eligible for graduation honors. Please refer to your academic catalog for further details.

How do I invite friends or relatives from outside the country to commencement? +

UMGC will draft a letter to the embassy of the country in which the person lives to serve as documentation for getting necessary travel approvals. To request this letter, e-mail and include the following information: 

  • Your name 

  • Your student/employee ID

  • Your address 

  • Your phone number 

  • Name of guest(s)

  • Guest's relationship to you 

  • Address of Guest(s) 

  • Whether you wish for the letter to be sent to you or the embassy  

You may also submit your embassy letter request via MyUMGC. Embassy letter requests will not be accepted until the January prior to your commencement ceremony. Please note that the number of tickets available per graduate is limited.

When will my UMGC degree be awarded? +

Degrees are awarded on the appropriate conferral date for the term. Diplomas are mailed two to three weeks from the conferral date. You can review conferral dates on the graduation to-do list. You can request a copy of your transcript or a degree verification letter showing the date your degree was awarded after the conferral date.

How do I ensure my name will be displayed correctly on my diploma? +

To ensure the correct name appears on your diploma, visit your Profile in MyUMGC and click the edit icon next to the Personal Information heading. Under name type, you can add or edit your Diploma Name. Please note, only your middle name can be changed through the portal. Your first and last name must match your legal name.

If you had a legal name change, you must provide proof (for example, driver's license, divorce decree, etc.). Documentation can be faxed or e-mailed as a scanned copy to the attention of Graduation Certification. Please send your information via fax to 240-684-2008 or e-mail to Our fax server is a secured line to maintain the confidentiality of student records. Please note that active-duty military IDs are not acceptable as proof and should not be submitted due to federal regulations related to the copying of such information.

How do I request a duplicate or replacement copy of my UMGC diploma or certificate? +

The Replacement/Duplicate Order Form should only be used to request a copy of a UMGC diploma or certificate that was issued previously by any UMGC division (U.S., Europe, or Asia). The cost is $50 per replacement credential, and payment information is included on the form. The request can be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed; contact information is on the form. Processing time for replacement credentials is four to six weeks from the receipt of the form.

How can I obtain a digital diploma from UMGC? +

All students who complete a certificate or degree from UMGC will be issued a digital diploma after their credentials have been awarded. Prior graduates interested in receiving a digital diploma can submit a request to Please note there is a $10 charge to obtain a digital diploma.

What is the difference between graduation and commencement? +

Graduation is the act of completing all program requirements so that UMGC can award you a degree. Please note that all students who have completed their program must initiate the certificate/degree award process by applying for graduation by the stated deadline for each term.

Commencement is the ceremony recognizing graduates who have earned an associate, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree. Visit the Adelphi Commencement microsite for all the details about our stateside commencements.

For questions related to applying for graduation, Letters of Completion, diplomas, degree honors, etc., please contact Graduation Certification at

For inquiries related to Commencement, including guest tickets, regalia, ceremony information, etc., please contact Commencement Services at

How long will it take for my degree to be awarded? +

Degrees will be officially awarded in our system within 24 to 48 business hours of the specified conferral date. There is the possibility of a delay in the review of your application if grades have not been posted or if UMGC is awaiting additional documentation in relation to a program requirement. You will be notified via e-mail once your degree has been conferred. If you would like to check the status of your application, you can visit Graduation in MyUMGC.

How will my program display on my diploma? +

For most undergraduate and graduate programs, the diploma will display the following information:  

  • Your name (as it appears in your student record) 

  • Degree earned (e.g., Bachelor of Science, Master of Science) 

  • Major/degree program (e.g., business administration, management) 

  • University honors (bachelor's degree recipients only), if earned  

Only declared majors and degree programs will be displayed on the diploma, along with the degree earned. If you earned a degree with a minor or specialization, the minor or specialization will not be displayed on the diploma. It will only appear on your official transcript. The Associate of Arts specialized curricula (e.g., accounting, business, computer studies) will not be displayed on the diploma.

When will I receive my diploma from UMGC? +

Your diploma will be mailed two to three weeks after conferral of your degree.