When you are admitted to University of Maryland Global Campus an initial determination of in-state or out-of-state/non-resident status will be made for tuition purposes. This status determination remains in effect until or unless it is successfully challenged.

In-State Status Requirements

To qualify for in-state status, you must meet the requirements in the University System of Maryland policy on student classification. You are responsible for providing the information necessary to establish eligibility for in-state status.

Policy Information

Read UMGC's residency for admission, tuition, and charge policy in the Administration section.

Petition for Change in Residency Classification

To apply for a change from out-of-state/non-resident to in-state status at University of Maryland Global Campus, you must file a Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition. You'll need to submit your petition as early as possible, no later than the last day of registration for a semester or session, to be considered for in-state status for that semester or session. View the academic calendar for registration deadlines.

You must request a Comptroller's copy of your Maryland state tax return to submit with your petition form if you filed a Maryland state tax return for the last tax year. This process can take approximately 10 business days. The petition form includes instructions on how to make this request.

Non-Resident Tuition Exemption

With the passage of the Maryland Dream Act, students with non-resident status who graduated from a Maryland high school and completed 60 credits or an associate's degree at a Maryland community college may be eligible for an exemption allowing them to pay in-state tuition rates. Review the full non-resident tuition exemption eligibility criteria.

The exemption covers the non-resident tuition fee and the educational fee differential charged to non-resident students. Students applying for the exemption are still required to pay any non-resident tuition and associated fees that may be due before eligibility is determined. Non-resident tuition and associated fees must be paid at the time of registration, unless you are enrolled in UMGC's interest-free monthly payment plan or you are receiving financial aid or employer-provided tuition assistance. If an exemption is granted, any differential will be refunded to the student for the current semester.

How to Request an Exemption

Your request must be submitted no later than the last day of registration for a semester or session (earlier is preferable) to be considered for in-state status for that semester or session.

  1. If you haven't already, apply to UMGC. You must be admitted to UMGC before filing a request for an exemption from non-resident tuition.
  2. Download and complete the Nonresident Tuition Exemption form. You will submit this form to UMGC with your supporting documentation.
  3. Gather the following supporting documentation:
    • High school transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
    • Community college transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
    • Documentation from your community college verifying you received a non-resident tuition exemption at that institution (a memo on letterhead or copies of your bill from each term is acceptable)
    • Copy of the affidavit submitted to your community college stating that you will apply for permanent residency within 30 days of becoming eligible to do so (not required if the student is a U.S. citizen)
    • Copies of Maryland tax returns submitted by you or your parent/legal guardian for each year since your first year at a Maryland high school (comptroller's copies required)
    • Copy of selective service registration card, if applicable
  4. Submit the Nonresident Tuition Exemption form and your supporting documentation by fax to 240-684-2153 (Attn: Residency Staff) or by e-mail to residency@umuc.edu.

Your submission will be reviewed by the residency staff, and you will be notified of your eligibility determination.

Continued Eligibility

If you are eligible for the exemption, it will be applicable as long as you continue to fulfill the eligibility requirements or until the university no longer offers this exemption.

To maintain eligibility for this exemption, you will be required to submit a copy of your or your parent/legal guardian's Maryland state tax return for each year that you attend UMGC. Documentation should be faxed to 240-684-2153 (Attn: Residency Staff) or e-mailed to residency@umuc.edu.